Official Guild Time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gidrea
Gidrea
Clan Shaman

re: FREE ADVICE: Scoundrel DPS

Post your best advice on stats, gear, rotation, etc.

Go!

The power of the Force is insignificant next to the ability to aggro an entire planet
Wyllym
Trader

Jawas,

Just wanted to post that I have spent a fair bit of time in 5.0 with the Ruffian Scoundrel / Lethality Operative.  It is a really hard hitting spec and per the theory crafting is the top sustained DPS class (i.e., per Bant, in full 242's it is theoretically possible to parse over 10k DPS).  Wanted to share a few high level thoughts in case anyone has considered the spec.  Happy to chat in game as well.

Spec Pros

- Fantastic sustained DPS.  With mostly 230 gear, only 4 piece set bonus, I can usually parse in the high 7k to low 8k on the dummy.  That translates pretty well to Ops (i.e., just pugged an EV and did 7.6k on the robot and 7.3k on Gharj).

- Easy rotation.  There are 2 DoTs you refresh 24 seconds, 2 abilities you use on CD, then one big hitter you try to use as often as possible, then 2 fillers.  That's it.

- Easy energy management.  I have been playing his class since 5.0 launched and only ever used an energy CD maybe once or twice.  You regain energy when DoTs crit, so as long as you keep DoTs up you should never have trouble with energy.

- Threat management.  You typically use your combat stealth on CD to help your DPS, so combined with the low burst it seems like pulling threat is rarely an issue.

Spec Cons

- Burst is not great.  It takes 2-3 CD's to get your DoTs up and get ready for serious DPS.  One caveat - if you have the chance to pre-DoT a target (e.g., Soa, Styrak), you can do fantastic burst.

- AoE is not great.  You can DoT spread but your DoTs don't do much damage by themselves.

- DPS depents on DoT management.  Keeping 2 24s DoTs up is fairly easy, but the DoTs don't hit that hard (i.e., each one counts for maybe 700-800k in your parse) and without them your Wounding Shots will be very weak.  Again, shouldn't be an issue, but if you try this spec and your DPS is terrible, it's most likely either an APM issue or you're not refreshing your DoTs on schedule.

Rotation - Opener/General Overview

1. (From stealth if opener) Point Blank Shot

2. Shrap Bomb {DoT #1}

3. Vital Shot {DoT #2}

4. Sanguinary Shot {Buffs your 2 DoTs}

5. Brutal Shots {Big hitter causes DoTs to tick - if all DoTs are up it hits HARD}

6. Fillers

Rotation - Priority

1. Use Point Blank Shot on CD / Every 2nd time, refresh 2 DoTs (Shrap Bomb & Vital Shot).  Point Blank Shot has a 12s CD, so that's the easy way to remember to refresh DoTs.

2. Use Sanguinary Shot on CD.  This ability buffs your Wounding Shots to make it hit harder.

3. Use Wounding Shots as often as possible.  It utilizes an Upper Hand so maximizing this spec requires tricks to get as many Upper Hands as possible.

4. Filler Priority - (1) Blaster Whip (builds an Upper Hand); (2) Quick Shot (if energy permits); (3) Flurry of Bolts (if low energy, should rarely happen)

Rotation - Building Upper Hands to use Wounding Shots as often as possible

- Don't use Upper Hand builders if you have 2 Upper Hands!!!  This is the cap, so any abilities granting an Upper Hand will be wasted.  Use Wounding Shots when rotation permits, then use ability.

- Use Pugnacity on CD.  It grants an Upper Hand and boosts your Alacrity.

- Prioritize Blaster Whip as your filler to grant an Upper Hand.

- When Disappearing Act (combat stealth) is up, use immediately before using Point Blank Shot.  This buffs Point Blank Shot to do more damage and grants an Upper Hand.

- Take the Legendary Utility "Sleight of Hand".  This causes Trick Move (your teleport ability) to grant an Upper Hand.  Use on CD to grant an Upper Hand.

I hope that is helpful.  I have been trying to branch out in 5.0 to learn some new DPS specs and have particularly enjoyed Ruffian.  Between Shadow Serenity (thanks Penni'a for tips!), Gunslinger Dirty Fighting, and Scoundrel Rufian, there are some really fun specs out there to try.  See y'all in game!

- Wyllym

Might have to look into this, try something different as well

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shock and Jawa Forum Index -> Class Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: