Official Guild Time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gidrea
Gidrea
Clan Shaman

re: FREE ADVICE: Jedi Shadow DPS

Post your best advice on stats, gear, rotation, etc.

Go!

The power of the Force is insignificant next to the ability to aggro an entire planet
Penni'a
Scavenger

Hallo Jawas,

I've had a few people ask me about Serenity recently, so i thought i might write some quick thoughts about it here.

Disclaimer: i don't claim to be any kind of expert at it, but it's my strongest and current favourite DPS class (even though it's pretty low on the theorycrafted rankings, i don't feel compelled to change.)

My "rotation" is kind of more a priority system built around applying and refreshing the two main DoTs every 18 seconds, and then a kind of button-mashy priority/filler system in between.  I find it pretty simple in practice.

What i do is start by applying the two DoTs (Force Breach, Sever Force) then follow up with Force In Balance.  That causes the next 15 DoT ticks to hit harder.  The nice thing about Force In Balance is that its cooldown is such that when it's coming off cooldown is just about exactly the time to start thinking about refreshing the DoTs.  I find it easier to track the cooldown on my ability bar rather than watching my DoTs on the enemy's debuff bar, but whatever works.  image  The *other* nice thing about it is that it gives a small self-heal. 

So my single-target "rotation" would start:

- Sever Force

- Force Breach

- Force In Balance

Next, it's a priority-based list:

- Squelch - use whenever it procs (after a melee attack).  This is another shorter DoT, also buffed by Force In Balance.  I tend not to worry very much about making sure it goes on while Force In Balance is on; it procs often enough that it will mostly happen that way by itself.  This is free when it's proc'd so it's very handy for regaining Force.

- Serenity Strike - use on cooldown.  (also gives some self-heal)

- Spinning Strike - use when it procs (from DoT damage).  In the last 30% phase, use it on cooldown all the time as #1 priority (after getting the DoTs refreshed.)

Fillers when the above 3 are on cooldown or not proc'd:

- Double Strike - this is the main filler.

- Shadow Strike - if you're behind or to the side of the enemy.  This is very expensive though, so be mindful of the Force.  image

- Saber Strike - if you are getting low on Force, one or two of these and you'll be full again pretty quickly.

Keep going until it's time to start over with Sever Force & Force Breach.

Some tips:

If you're lowish on Force, use Saber Strike as the last filler before restarting the cycle, so you're more likely to have enough Force to do both DoTs and then Force In Balance all in a row.

Use Force Potency pretty much on cooldown.  You will get your 3 Force attacks in within its window.

Use Battle Readiness on cooldown if it's a fight where you won't need it for defensive purposes; it does boost your DPS a little.

Anyway, that's my own approach to Serenity.  I'll be happy to try to answer any more questions about it if i can, and/or i'll happily accept input if you have suggestions for improvement!  image 

-Penni'a

Sleegath
rejavarti
Scavenger

Thanks Penni'a, it helps to be able to read how others are doing it. 

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shock and Jawa Forum Index -> Class Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: